8.24.2005

Watched Goodbye Dragon Inn last Friday, and although I hated it while I was watching it, in hindsight I think it was really good. It's definately not entertaining to watch, but it's haunting. I find myself thinking about it a few times a day, the images popping into my head, triggered by something I see on the sidewalk or on the train. There's no score and almost no dialogue, just beautiful shots, the slow movement of the actors, and the sounds of Dragon Inn, the film playing in the theater where Goodbye Dragon Inn takes place. The ticket lady slowly walks around in the halls behind the theater. An aged actor from Dragon Inn sits in the audience, watching himself doing kung fu on the screen. I can't remember the camera moving a single time. Weird, but in a good way.

1 comment:

The Tricyclist said...

i feel so betrayed....