10.06.2005

The hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.
While this should be obvious to most, in evangelical America a statement like this is a revelation. Too bad about all that required chastity, gay hating, etc.
It still surprises me that my ears still perk up when there's news about the church. Mostly, it amazes me that so many people who don't agree at all with the church are able to remain members, e.g. my parents. Whenver the church lets out one of their more rediculous decrees, I think, "Oh, this is the one that will piss them off." But no, just head shaking and "I know, I know." What would it take to get them to leave? Not that I want them to leave, but I just wonder. I don't know whether to respect or to just be dumbfounded by them.

No comments: