10.17.2005

I'm a Glutton for Punishment...

in the form of long science books. Just finished Gödel, Escher, Bach a few days ago, and today I picked up The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil. It's a little bit shorter, and I'm hoping the concepts will be more intuitive than those in GEB. If you don't know about the concept of "the Singularity", you should check it out here. My current interest is one of curious skeptic, which is why I picked up the book. I read a few pages on the train today. So far everything seems to be making sense. It's that chapter about reverse engineering the human brain that has my bullshit detector itching to scan over it.

P.S. I find it really funny that Sudoku books are on the bestseller shelves at Border's. Seeing 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America up there gave me a chuckle too, but in a sorta depressing way. Al Franken is number 37, you know.

No comments: