11.24.2005

Thanks

Thankful for, in ascending order:

5. Computers/Internet: Yeah, I'm a geek. I believe that the internet has been a democratizing force in the world, and will only become more so in the future. A romantic geek, I guess.

4. Music: Bad, good, whatever people like, good for them. And if it sets you free in some way, well, that's the best.

3. Electronic musical instruments, including but not limited to: drum machines, software, synthesizers, little toy instruments, DJ equipment, amplifiers, effects boxes: Again with the democratization. To me cassette 4-tracks were just a stepping stone, since you still had to have multiple expensive instruments, and enough space to contain them all, to really get the job done. Now, all you need is a computer and some booted software (the latter being the mark of a true artiste), or a drum machine and a synth, or a sampler and a mic, or whatever weapons you choose. They won't take up more than a table top and you will be able to sound as professional as much of what you hear on the radio.

2. Friends: Can't really put this one into words. The people who I love give me what it takes to get by. Which leads to...

1. Laura and Simon: You knew this one was coming, right? Both count as members of the previous item, but of course they're more than that. Laura and Simon both challenge me every day to be a better person than I was the previous, and I'm trying to keep up. Thanks, guys.

No comments: