8.09.2006

B-Town

Where we stay at. I'm not an expert on Bloomington/Normal (dem twins), having come from this spot right here, but from what I can tell there's 3 basic regions: Illinois State University and the surrounding area, which is populated by college students; the east side of Normal, which seems to be populated by the folks with more cash, with malls and tons of stores, reminds me of Chi suburbs; and downtown Bloomington, which includes Illinois Wesleyan University and the areas to the south of IWU. We live in that last one, which is, of course, the best of them all. It's the oldest part of town and seems to be the most economically diverse. Old-ish lady next door runs a day care for about 7 or 8 kids every week day. Dude hooking up bass in his trunk the other day right outside of our kitchen window. (by the way: Why is my bass better when the trunk is open?) Probably my favorite neighborhood occurance so far has been watching two neighbors prepare their demolition derby cars in their driveways. One of these rituals included banging the sides of the car with a hammer, apparently with the goal of making the car look more badass.

There's a Wal-Mart Supercenter really close to our place. I have unfortunately entered it quite a few times already. Who knew that there would be such a problem with graffiti at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Bloomington? Not I.

Speaking of retail, there's also a Blain's Farm and Fleet nearby. I love Farm and Fleet. It makes me feel like I'm surrounded by my relatives, cause my parents and their siblings are country as fuck and Farm and Fleet is hick through and through. Plus they sell bags of any kind of candy or snack you can imagine, in a huge quantity, for insanely cheap. As a matter of fact, I need to re-up my supply.

Monday I went to ISU's library to use their wi-fi and got yelled at by some frat boys out of their car window. It was really hot out and I had my pant legs rolled up a bit. I think they said something like, "Hey, your pants are rolled up!" It was awesome.

Yesterday we found out what Simon's favorite song is. It's the instrumental to "Poppin' My Collar" by Three 6 Mafia. Since I'm such a rap nerd I have the instrumental version on my mp3 player, it came on yesterday when Simon and I were in the car. After it was over "They Want EFX" came on and I'm thinking about how long it's been since I listened to some Das EFX (it's been a minute, let me tell you), when Simon starts freaking out. "Want to hear that other music!" or something like that. I was surprised but knew exactly what he meant as soon as he said it. Turned it back to "Poppin' My Collar (Instrumental)" and he was happy, but after a few bars said "I want this music to be louder." He kept requesting "louder" until the thang was as turned up as possible. We then proceeded to listen to that instrumental track three more times after that, all the way home, making a total of five times back to back. He was still upset when we got home and had to turn off the car, replacing "Poppin' My Collar (Instrumental)" with the sounds of crickets and whatever other weird things you hear in our neighborhood down here. Then, maybe an hour later at home, we put it on because Laura wanted to see his reaction. He instantly beamed and then danced with Laura as we listened to it another three times or so. If anyone wants to hear it, I can post it up here to download, it really is brilliant.

Today at a stop light some skinny country looking guy wearing an un-ironic trucker cap, sitting in a huge pickup truck was listening to some southern sounding rap that I really liked but had never heard before. The midwest is funny.

2 comments:

Colin Hughes Taylor said...

Let me just say that I, for one, am very proud that you guys are holding down the central Illinois section for us. Us downstaters gotta represent.
Also, un-ironic trucker hats so completely beat ironic trucker hats every minute of any day.

Big ups!

Angela said...

The question burning in my mind is: Have you seen any dead 'yotes yet?