9.29.2006

If I loved _______, then maybe I'd like ________.

Hello, all. In my quest to shed the pounds that accompanied the creation of my second son, I am taking lots of walks. The goal is to leave as soon as Nate wakes up (around 4 pm) and walk for about an hour. Thus, I am spending a lot of time alone with the mp3 player, and I'd like some ideas for new music. Well, it doesn't need to be new, necessarily. During the past 3 years I have missed out on a lot of new music, I'm sure, due to hours spent listening to Raffi and Sesame Street instead of whatever hot new group most other 20 year olds were rocking.

I am a pretty normal, rocker girl when it comes to taste in music... nothing like my weirdo husband. Here are some albums that made my heart go pitter patter in years past:

Interpol (both albums)
Bjork - Vespertine
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Common - Be
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Cat Power
and, most recently I've been enjoying Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

I hope those examples give you an idea of what I like... like I said, pretty normal stuff. Can you guys give me some ideas of what to download next? Even if something was hugely popular, don't assume I've heard it. Remember, I've been living in a dark hole of children's music for the past few years, so no suggestion will be too obvious.

Thanks.

2 comments:

Colin Hughes Taylor said...

hello Laura. I think you would very much like the band Stars. They're great. Also perhaps Rilo Kiley. The Headlights new record is awesome, as is everything else they did. I think you already listen to Sufjan Stevens, but he's rad. The Decemberists too maybe.

Okay, that's a lot. But it seemed to go with what you liked :-)

Megan said...

First, Good job for walking an hour a day! You'll feel great as a result. I also heart Clap Your Hands and Arcade Fire. When I rode my bike for long distances in Chicago, I liked "The Magic Numbers." They're Irish and released a poppy/folky cd in 2005. If you end up enjoying Sufjan, who is one of the best last year, you'd like Architecture in Helsinki. Then there's Spiritualized, Belle& Sebastian, The Beta Band,Danielson,Death Cab for Cutie's new one, Franz, M.I.A.'s "Arular" (an especially good one), and I hope you didn't miss the Postal Service.