1.23.2007

But it's only January...

I was 6 months pregnant when Simon turned 3 last March. As I prepared for his party, I reckoned it would be the last time I'd ever have the time or energy for crazy things like sending out handmade invitations or hanging up paper decorations I had cut out myself. Surely I would be frequenting the party store from then on, I thought.

Turns out, I can still engage in crazy party preparations. I just have to start much earlier.

Last night I made hats for these friends of Simon's (can you guess this year's birthday party theme?).


These five are my favorite.



But I suppose it would be rude not to invite the whole herd.


6 comments:

Emily said...

could you make me one of those party hats. my head is a size 7 and 1/8th.

Oliver said...

awsome! How'd you get 'em so small?

Paul said...

dear god, that's the best thing I've ever seen.

Susan said...

I came home last night, checked your blog (like I do every night) and almost fell out of my chair. Laura your my favorite and the only person I have ever met that would make tiny hats for her son's dinosaur party. I am so happy there are people like you in the world.

The Tricyclist said...

Wow. Thanks for the dino hat love.

I have to admit, it wasn't my idea. I did a little google research on dinosaur parties and stumbled across the idea somewhere. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the pictures. Simon was pretty thrilled about it as well, which was very gratifying.

To answer Oli's question, one of the main reasons we decided to rent this house was because it came with a shrinking machine in the basement, kind of like Willy Wonka's TV machine. So I just tossed some hats in there and wa-la.

No, really, just a matter of having the patience for such a tedious task. I cut some strips of paper, maybe 1 or 2 inches wide. Then, roll into a cone, tape together, trim the end. Used my super sharp tiny scissors to poke holes near the bottom and thread some elastic string through the holes. You can get the tiny pompoms at the craft store, and little dab of Elmer's will keep them in place.

And that's that. Ridiculous hats with the power to make little boys smile.

Here ends my comment tutorial.

Jay M. said...

I don't care who's idea it was, that's one of the coolest things i've ever seen. Those dino's are having a blast. Just look at 'em.