1.12.2007

A Quick Hello

Haven't checked in here for a while. I've been both exhausted and busy.

Theo is still not sleeping through the night. Some nights are better than others. Several nights this week I was up with him every two hours. Then last night he had a wonderful long stretch, 11 pm to 5 am. Thing is, even when the baby sleeps well, Simon picks up where he left off. Seriously, it's uncanny. Every single time I'm getting a long stretch of sleep, I wake up suddenly when I feel a presence next to the bed. Simon is standing there quietly. When he sees I'm awake he says, "Mommy, I need to go back to bed." What he means, more precisely, is, "Mommy, get up and tuck me into bed, please." Sometimes I can grunt and pat Nate's (empty) side of the bed and convince Simon to sleep with me, so I don't have to get out of bed. Usually, he wins out, and I get up, take him to his bed, and put his lion blankie over him so he can sleep another few hours before waking me up again.
I could write more about the details of the wee-hour nightlife in this house, but I'm boring even myself. Suffice it to say, between the habits of these two boys, I am tired.
Sleep, my long lost lover, when will you come back to me?

Here are a few pics of what's been keeping me busy. I've been making some collages, something I've always really enjoyed. They won't photograph for shit, but you can get a feel for them, at least. We really need a better camera.

I've been making a lot of things lately, with a goal of taking them to my old (Chicago) church's craft bazaar next December.
I like to have a specific, tangible goal, even if it's pretty far away. It gives me a reason to be creative, helps me make creativity a priority instead of a frivolous pastime. Now if only I could view laundry and dishes as frivolous activities. That would really free up some time to work on what I want to create. I guess balance is important, though.

This last one is for me to keep. It will go above my craft desk to remind me of my aim in making things. My biggest challenge as a crafter is disappointment when I'm unable to execute ideas exactly as I had envisioned them. If I can remember that the goal is just to make things, not to make them perfectly, the process is far more enjoyable. And really, if I don't enjoy what I'm doing, I may as well go back to folding laundry. Or sleeping.

Have a good day, friends.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I relate. I've picked up learning to knit again and I forget that learning a new stitch or trying a new pattern is not easy. It is actually a mental task. I sat for an hour yesterday knitting and re-knitting the same row as I tried a new stitch. Oli can attest to my shouts of, "This is NOT RELAXING!" as I struggled to get it right. Eventually I got it and felt proud for having worked hard at it. Yeah crafters.