3.30.2007

I haven't been spending much time in front of the computer lately. We've been stationed on the front porch. We absolutely adore our swing.
And here is some porch furniture we picked out of somebody's garbage. At all times in Bloomington, there is an inordinate amount of furniture set out on the curb. It's weird.

I thought free was the perfect price for porch furniture. This way I don't have to worry if it gets damaged or snatched. We're going to try to eat out here as much as possible.

I FINALLY finished this piece of embroidery for my friend Bonnie. It's only 3 months late.

It was really hard to get a good picture of this. It's a bit brighter than it looks here. The main design (the text and the Luckenbooth) didn't take that long. I decided to add a background design in white, for extra texture and prettiness, and that is what I worked on for the past few months. It took many, many hours. You can see it better in the second picture. Can you see it here? I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I don't expect to ever tackle such a big project again. From here on out I'm all about smaller projects and faster gratification.

The next step with this piece is to wash, iron, and mount it onto some matte board I had cut to the correct size. Then I'll take it somewhere to be framed. I am terrified at the prospect of these next tasks. I've never done them before, and I can think of about a thousand ways that the process could go awry. And if I ruin this, it will be a sad, sad day in our house.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Here are a few pics of the boys, just for kicks. Here is Theo climbing into the bottom of his bouncy saucer and getting stuck. You can see on his face that he's just realized he can't move, and he doesn't much care for it. That was a few weeks ago. Now he can crawl through the bottom of that thing like it's as level as the rest of the floor.

Here we have the classic messy baby in highchair photo, though he doesn't look as messy as I remember him looking at the time.
One other thing of note here is the food on his tray. Cheerios, chopped up raisins, avocado, and pineapple. Basically whatever I could find in the kitchen and make into small enough pieces, I gave to him. I would've never done that with Simon. With Simon, I had a very narrow idea of what babies could eat, namely anything that came in a jar or box that said "Baby Food." With Theo, we are trying to expand that notion, with the hopes that letting him try a wider variety of foods from this tender age will influence him to be less picky than his big brother.

And, finally, here is Simon. We had this big red dinosaur blown up and tied to the porch on the day of his party. A few days later, as it deflated, he took to using it as a recliner. Looks comfy, doesn't it?

3 comments:

MJ Watson said...

Wow, I'm sure Bonnie loved the gift. Your handy work is beyond impressive--it is so intricate, the detail is amazing! You, my friend, are a wonder. You are so gifted, I just sincerely hope you know it. BEAUTIFUL.
That, and your boys should be on the cover of a magazine... I could (figuratively, not psychotically) eat them with a spoon!

Jay M. said...

So true. Look at Simon on the porch swing. Just look at him! He's so happy!

Good job mom and dad!

Colin Hughes Taylor said...

I am jealous of your porch swing. And, yes, your porch.